Friday, April 22, 2005

Renaissance Fair

Renaissance Fair

Renaissance Fair (2004)

From the Renaissance Faire Homepage:

Renaissance Faire (Ren Faire or just Faire) is an amalgam of many things. Its partly a craft fair, its partly historical reenactment, its partly performance art. Everyone working at Faire dresses in costumes (or garb) typical of the late Elizabethan period. There are many booths selling both crafts and food. Parades wind their way through the crowds. Jugglers, musicians, magicians, and other entertainers perform through the day. You wander about, examining goods for sale, sampling foods, watching plays and performers, and of course drinking fyne English Ale.

And from Movie Poop Shoot, where Michael Sampson discusses why he dislikes Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings:

First off, I always mention that I respect other people's love for the movie. That kind of move disarms the violent and eager to harm. Then I go on to explain exactly how I manage to exist being practically the only person alive who can't enjoy Lord of the Rings.

I suppose it all boils down to my not really being "into" the fantasy genre. I don't really dig elves doing elvish shit and people talking pseudo-Shakespearean exposition and all that comes with it. All I can think about is Jim Carrey at Medieval Times -- "Dost thou have a mug of ale for me and my mate? He hath been pitched in battle for a fortnight and has a king's thirst for a frosty brew dost thou might have for thus." It just all seems so silly like some bad Renaissance Fair on acid.

The image tries to convey the pomp, pageantry, kitsch, and mass confusion of these quasi-Elizabethan festivals.

"Hey, forsooth, jester dude, put down my aluminum foil mace before I brain thee with a turkey leg!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your work here is great as always. Ambient and abstract.

Wanted to ask if you were gonna do any poetry on this blog. I'm a big fan of your poetry, and it's been an inspiration to me.

cruelanimal said...

Hi, Lee. Thanks for your warm remarks. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

Yes, I do plan to include some of my illustrated poetry from time to time. In fact, I'm presently working on poem/image series, and I might put up some of it soon.