Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sticky Lucky Cat

Sticky Lucky Cat

Sticky Lucky Cat (2009)

[Click on the image above to see the view with binoculors.]


Last night, I participated in Art Week 09.

One aim of the festivities was to place visual artists in various locales around the cities of Little Rock and North Little Rock. I received a call from one of the coordinators asking me if I'd like to participate. He had visited my web site and had liked my "paintings." I had to explain that I made digital art. Although every other participating artist was either painting or creating mixed media constructions, I said I could take a laptop and projector and demonstrate how I make my art. He agreed and put me on the schedule. I spent several days doing the best I could to build a portable digital art studio on my laptop.

So, come Saturday afternoon, Cindy (my wife) and I packed up: laptop, projector, stands, portable screen, mike, karaoke machine (for sound), and a few prints (for show).

We set up at Sticky Fingerz, a restaurant and music venue, in Little Rock's River Market, and I made art for four hours while we talked to the crowd, showed off prints, and handed out business cards. I worked on five images -- explaining my process as I went and taking suggestions from the audience as to what should be kept or undone. Some friends dropped by, and I talked to a number of cool people, including a mathematician and several graphic designers. One guy even wanted me to teach him Photoshop.

It was a good time, and I hope the Art Week organizers ask me to participate again next year.

~/~

Sticky Lucky Cat was created live at Sticky Fingerz on Saturday, May 9th. The title was suggested by someone in the crowd. Image initially made with QuaSZ and post-processed until the audience agreed it was done.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: